Last night I had the biggest scare of my life! While preparing dinner I realized that I must have left a bag of groceries in the car. My macaroni was boiling on the stove so I ran out to the car to get the bag that contained the Velveeta.
Che was in the middle of the livingroom playing with toys. Nicholas was at basketball practice. I pulled the door up so the cold air wouldn’t get in. Can you believe that the door was completely closed when I returned! The baby must have closed the locked door! I stood paralyzed with fear for a few seconds before I thought to check the windows. I walked around the house with no luck. Every window was shut tight.
I had the garage opener in the car but that was useless considering that the door leading into the house was locked as well. I was out in the cold with no cell phone and no way to get back inside. I considered breaking a window but there was not a brick or stick in sight.
I surveyed my neighbors trying to decide who I could approach for help. Since moving in, only one of them extended welcome. I settled on the neighbors across the street but no one answered. Then a car pulled into the driveway two doors from ours.
I timidly asked to use the phone and explained my situation. I felt embarrassed at my irresponsibility. I was also unsure if they would help considering it can be unsafe to assist anyone now days. I was planning on calling the fire department. A locksmith would have taken far too long. I didn’t know what else to do.
They immediately moved to action. “We’ll help you get to your baby.” Nancy said. She ordered her two teen daughters and her husband to head to my house while she slipped on her house shoes. She was clad in a bathrobe.
A few seconds later she had her daughters check the windows. We could her Che inside whimpering. John delivered a commando style kick to the door and we were in!Instantly I ran to my cub who was very curious about the neighbors.
They stayed for a few minutes playing with baby. After the family left I called my cousin who promptly came over to repair the splintered frame. The damage was actually minimal.
“OMGeeeee!” as one of my student is so fond of saying! I felt a mixture of emotions: overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers, upset with myself for failing to unlock the door, and immense relief that Che was okay!
Today I plan to leave a token of my appreciation on their door.